Friday, March 6, 2009

Funny kid...now go to your room!


So, I have recently come to grips with the fact that I am past my prime. I've also accepted the fact that it has been quite some time now that I have been past my prime. There aren't very many places on my body that I can point to and say "Wow. My______is looking or feeling great!" I like to think I hide it well, but my kids are so on to me.
The other day Matthew and I were sharing a little pack of cookies that had been open for who knows how long. I took one bite and said "These are a bit stale." I could see his brain processing the word for a few seconds before he asked me "what does stale mean?" I explained that when food that comes in a package is left open or exposed to the air it tastes different. He immediately got it. Then, with a straight face, he said "I'm stale." I laughed, but not nearly as hard as he laughed when he said "You're really, really, really stale, dad."
Days later, Mackenzie asked me if I was alive during the Great Depression. She was serious.

"The face of a child can say it all, especially that mouth part of the face."

- Jack Handey -

7 comments:

Allen said...

I sooooo hear you! Why can't we stay in our 20s for the rest of our lives? Let them believe that you are stale and lived during the Great Depression, you will get away with a lot more. Trust me.

Allen said...

P.S. Since when did you get an earring????

Berlinbound said...

The other night I got into the bathtub with my five-year-old and he took one look at my belly and said, "Papa - I don't have such a big belly do I?" as he patted his taught little tummy.

Nice blog ...

LaDawn said...

You have the greatest kids. They are truely amazing.

Jeanine & Christian Brown said...

Our kids have asked us if we had cars when we were growing up. And if we had telephones when we were little. YOU know the olden days.

paulson family said...

I love it! I haven't gotten that from my kids yet, but my husband feels it is his job to remind me of my age. And he does it often. I think I'm going through the Great Depression right now. Love you

Radke said...

You got to love kids and the things that come out of them.